Friday, May 1, 2020

Kdrama Reviews and Ratings


Looking for something to watch but don't know what to pick in the endless sea of kdramas? Do the released posters and summaries tell you absolutely nothing about what the drama's about? Unwilling to waste your time on a drama that goes nowhere for 14 to 30 episodes? Well you're in luck, because I've cheered through the great dramas and suffered through the nightmare ones for you.


After the jump, I've listed all the dramas I've watched with a brief, spoiler-free summation of the plot and my feelings about it. I've also given each drama a rating out of 5 stars (★★★★★). If I post a star that looks like ☆, consider it a half star (so ★★★★☆ would indicate 4.5 stars). As a bonus, I've also included my Top 5 Favorite Kdramas (which will change as I watch more series).

This list is in alphabetical order and will be updated as I complete kdrama series.

NOTICE: For future updates, please view the review page of the website. This particular blog post will not be updated after December 2020.

Last Updated December 2020


Kdramapedia's Top 5 All Time Dramas
  1. Gaksital/Bridal Mask
  2. The King 2 Hearts
  3. Shut Up Flower Boy Band
  4. Encounter/Boyfriend
  5. Goong

Drama Ratings


49 Days/49일 (2011) - ★★★★
20 episodes
What I love most about the show is the concept: you have 49 days to find 3 non-related people who will cry genuine tears of loss for you at your death. Heavy, right? Acting by Nam Gyu-Ri is flat, but thankfully she gets few lines. The drama gets spastic near the end, but that initial concept keeps it in my Top Dramas list.
Did I laugh?: Not a comedy, so no, but it did make me think.
Did I cry?: Cry? No. Touched? Yes.
Would I watch it again?: Yes.

A Gentleman's Dignity/Gentleman's Dignity/신사의 품격 (2012) - ★★★☆
20 episodes
Affectionately known by viewers as the F44, this story centers around 4 ajusshi playboys and their love lives. The best part of the show are the openers, which are glimpses into the F44's past, showing how they grew to be the close friends that they are today. The story starts to get draggy with the same plot points running around in circles and random "problems" thrown in just for the heck of it. Would've been better at 16 episodes. I still liked it, though, as it shows that love isn't always easy as they make it seem on tv. And of course, I want all of the F44 to be my oppas!
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: No
Would I watch it again?: Maybe 

Alice/앨리스 (2020) -
16 episodes
I truly enjoy time travel and multi-dimension stories, which are the ones where you need to really pay attention to in order to follow along and catch all the clues. I had high hopes for this series, but unfortunately, I don't think the writers had any idea of what they were trying to do with this drama. There were so many story lines that were picked up and dropped at will, and just when you finally figured out how one aspect of time travel worked, another one negated it. There were things that were good about this drama, yes, but they were overshadowed by the worst of it. The ending makes no sense, and the drama never explains for what purpose everything happened. A waste of talented actors Joo Won, Kim Hee-Seon, and Kwak Si-wang, who did amazing with the terrible, pre-produced script they were given. Such a shame.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: No

Answer Me 1997/Reply 1997/Answer to 1997/응답하라 1997 (2012) - ★★★
16 episodes
This became a national favorite for obvious nostalgia reasons, but for the non-Korean viewer, there are many references that you just won't understand unless you lived in or had ties to Korea in the late 90s/early 2000s. What the show does extremely well, however, is portray life as a teenager in a realistic, true-to-life manner. It's not the typical glossy high school drama; it actually shows the ups and downs of growing up from adolescent to adult. I do think it dragged out the second secret for wayyyy too long. But the series ended with everyone's stories tied up well; no forced pairings, no character left behind. Even the secondary characters had full story arches. Good writing, great direction.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: Maybe

Arang and the Magistrate/아랑사또전 (2012) - ★★★
20 episodes
I really loved this drama from the beginning. But something changed in the second half that I can't quite put my finger on. And I'm really not happy how our strong heroine fell into the damsel-in-distress more than once, mainly due to her own stupid decisions. Still, our OTP was cute and I was rooting for them the entire way. I thought the final episode was cute and very fitting for the story. It wasn't earth-shattering, but it was appropriate.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: No
Would I watch it again?: Maybe

Arthdal Chronicles/아스달 연대기 (2019)
18 episodes
Known by some as the Korean Game of Thrones, this drama has amazing world building, with a fleshed out backstory and original languages for each region. But it really sets itself apart from GOT once you look past the surface level (and I don't think it's fair to compare the two). It takes a few episodes to understand what exactly is going on (again, lots of world building), so be ready to take it slow to fully enjoy the drama. Wonderful acting by a seasoned cast, and Song Joong-Ki's immersement in multiple characters is the best I've seen. The ending is abrupt, and the second season has been postponed until at least 2022 thanks to the pandemic (fully filmed overseas), so that's definitely a frustrating problem for now.  
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: Yes, even with the missing ending

Bachelor's Vegetable Store/총각네 야채가게 (2011/2012) - ★★
24 episodes
This drama had so much potential, but got lost in a sea of birth secrets and chaebols. You would think that a story about bachelors running a vegetable store would focus on bachelors running a vegetable store, but apparently that makes too much sense. Characters become frustrating and redundant, and the ending leaves so much to be desired. Should've been 14 episodes instead of 24.
Did I laugh?: Yes, the 5 bachelors are the saving grace of this show whenever they're briefly on screen.
Did I cry?: No
Would I watch it again: No

Baker King Kim Tak Goo/King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu/Bread, Love, and Dreams/제빵왕 김탁구 (2010) - ★★★★
30 episodes
Cute, cute, albeit frustrating story. Solidifies my love for Yoon Shi-Yoon (Who kinda reminds me of Jung Il-Woo at times. Just me? Okay.), who runs the gamut of emotions. The raw story is touching, and the way things are connected makes me believe that the writers knew where they were going from the start, so I don't mind the corporate issues so much. Secrets/surprises aren't dragged out for endless episodes and are dealt with swiftly, which I appreciate. There are several frustrating pieces in the second half of the drama, and I'm not satisfied with the ending. Warning for child abuse.
Did I laugh?: Yes, especially at all the zoom-in close-ups of fists. There's oh so many!
Did I cry?: I marathoned this series, causing me to cry for hours straight at sad back-to-back episodes.
Would I watch it again?: Yes

Big/빅 (2012) - ★★☆
16 episodes
Talk about a disappointing ending! The end totally ruined the series for me. I tried to ignore the crazy mother and the eternal loop of secrets, but the feeling that the writer didn't trust the viewers to get what had been built up for the previous 15 episodes just irritated me. Gil Da-Ran is a bit too naive for my liking, but I like the love/infatuation that was built between her two love interests. I also enjoyed figuring out Seo Yoon-Jae's true feelings from the third person perspective. It was like a little mystery mixed in with the main conflict. But of course, the comedy got lost along the way with the love square and overbearing parents. Sad.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: No
Would I watch it again?: No

Boys Over Flowers/Boys Before Flowers/꽃보다 남자 (2009) - ★★★★
25 episodes
In reality, this should be the worst drama ever, but it's so bad that it's great! It's such a craptastic, spastic mess... but in a good way. There's enough plot holes, character inconsistencies, chaebol drama, and makjang to make your head explode, but yet we keep crawling back for more (It doesn't hurt that F4 is deliciously hot either). Does the ending make sense? No, but neither does the rest of the series. It's a must-watch in the way that it somehow deeply effects Korean pop-culture. It's like Six Degrees of Boys Over Flowers. Seriously.
Did I laugh?: Oh, how I laughed!
Did I cry?: I laughed so hard that I cried.
Would I watch it again?: Adding up the hours, I've literally spend over a week of my life watching and re-watching this drama, so I'd consider that a yes.

Bridal Mask/Doll Mask/Gaksital/각시탈 (2012) - ★★★★★
28 episodes
GAKSITAAAAAAL! This drama is pure win. There's just nothing more to say. Yes, there are a few downsides, but they are so completely overshadowed by the epicness of it all. This show's not afraid to be dark and talk about things that really happened in history – things that will rip your heart out and things that will throw you for a loop. The good guys are smart, the bad guys are smart, and all of our main characters can seriously kick some ass. 
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Get your tissue boxes ready now, you're gonna need them.
Would I watch it again?: Yes

Descended From the Sun/Descendants of the Sun/태양의 후예 (2016) - ★★★☆
16 episodes
A drama with Song Joong-Ki and Onew from SHINee? Sign me up! A pre-produced story of soldiers and doctors falling in love when their lives are literally on the line had the potential to be an epic story. Unfortunately, the drama falls flat in raising the stakes, so you never truly believe that anyone is in any real danger. Since this story is primarily placed outside of Korea (which I love in this instance) in a fictional war-torn country led by the Korean Army's Alpha Team, I expected so much more conflict and action. I think the drama knows its shortcomings, as it laughs at itself in the last 5 minutes. But at least the English isn't completely horrible (main bad guy is an American-born half-Korean actor who did the best with the script he was given), and the love stories are cute without any contrived drama. The love pairings are endearing, layered, and engaging. Every character gets a full story that has you rooting for them the entire way.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: Maybe. I'd probably stick to the three-part special to relive the heart of the story, though.

Doctor Stranger/닥터 이방인 (2014) - ★☆
20 episodes
Such a waste of a compelling plot. The opening episodes give you a layered, complicated hero with a fascinating backstory, and the subsequent 18 episodes work to tear that into shreds. Nothing makes sense, and the is she/isn't she plot gets super old – I'm not even sure if the writers knew if she was or wasn't! Acting by Jin Se-Yung combined with the terrible script gives you serious second lead syndrome. But don't you worry, the story ruins those characters, too. There was potential to make the doctors into a skilled team via wonderful character growth, but that gets cast to the wayside. Believe it or not, this is a pre-produced drama, so it should've been a tightly directed and written story. Instead, it's full of gross medical malpractice, the worst spies ever, and the most terrible politicians in the country.  
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: No

Dream High/드림하이 (2011) - ★★★★
16 episodes
The Korean version of Glee, doused in awesomeness. The soundtrack was stuck in my head forever. Inspiring story of high school kids just trying to make it in the crazy kpop world. Both the faculty and the students were well portrayed. I also like how they keep the mystery of who is going to win until the very end, with each of the main characters being strong contenders.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: No
Would I watch it again?: Yes

Dream High 2/드림하이2 (2012) -
16 episodes
Sometimes you just need to leave well enough alone. If I could give negative stars, I would. Dream High 2 was a slow-moving train wreck, and by the end, it basically turned into a mock music variety show, complete with lyrics in the lower corner and random graphics. All of the characters were frustrating (Actually, 2AM's Jinwoon wasn't so terrible, but if you're standing in the middle of flames, you can't help getting burned) and had identity crises midway. The ending made zero sense, and each episode was like nails on a chalkboard.
Did I laugh?: It was hilariously bad.
Did I cry?: I should at the loss of many brain cells.
Would I watch it again?: NO!

Encounter/Boyfriend/남자친구 (2018-2019) - ★★★★☆
16 episodes
Artistically gorgeous! This is such a beautiful show to watch, filled with lovely camera angles, meaningful juxtaposition, and several art and literature references, complete with a nice soundtrack to round it out. This slow-building noona romance truly highlights what it's like to fall in like, then in love. It highlights all the awkward silences, the nervousness, the missteps, the inside jokes, and genuine joy of dating someone new, which is so underappreciated in dramas. I loved the simplicity and the honest look at meeting a person who eventually becomes someone you can't live without. Most of the supporting characters are great and have meaningful connections to the couple; however, meddling mothers ruin some of the magic with wholly unnecessary angst. Aside from that, this is one of my favorite dramas ever.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: No, but it was very touching.
Would I watch it again?: Yes and yes

F4: Special Edition/F4: Five Years Later/F4 After Story (2009) -
4 parts
This is the "sequel" to Boys Over Flowers, a look into the future of our beloved F4 five years later. They are extended music videos with each of our boys getting their own segment. Unfortunately, they're all pretty lame. Watch if you're interested in hearing their vocals, skip if you're looking for BOF closure.
Did I laugh?: No
Did I cry?: No
Would I watch it again?: No

Fashion King/패션왕 (2012) -
Too many 20 episodes
I'm sorry, I lied. This series is not a half-star drama. I would like to apologize to the star for insulting it, as Fashion King deserves no stars, not even if they were negative ones. This show was awful right out the gate and only got worse. This show was a waste of talent for the lovely Lee Je-Hoon and Yoo Ah-In. You will want every wasted second of your life back if you ever are deluded enough to watch even a glimpse of this series. It's not even worth reviewing. Run. Far, far away.
Did I laugh?: Yes, it was so bad that I couldn't help but laugh at everything.
Did I cry?: No, but I'm sure my heart did at this torture.
Would I watch it again?: You couldn't pay me enough.

Flower Boy Ramyun Shop/Flower Boy Ramen Shop/꽃미남 라면가게 (2011) - ★★★★
16 episodes
Very cute addition to the "flower boy" series on tvN. I like that the story stays centered around the ramyun shop, even with the school antics, chaebol drama, and love triangle. It's a funny story with heart, and well acted to boot. You will come to love the ramyun shop family. And Jung Il-Woo throws the best temper tantrums ever. I could watch them all day!
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: I don't think so? Maybe?
Would I watch it again?: Yes, again and again

Goong/Palace/Princess Hours/Imperial Household/궁/궁 (宮) (2006) - ★★★★☆
24 episodes
One of my all time favorites; a great constitutional monarchy drama. Absolutely love Joo Ji-Hoon oppa here, and Kim Jeon-Hoon oppa isn't bad either. In fact, all the the actors are great, from the leads to the palace maids. The backdrops are hilarious static painted stills, but were pretty good for the time of production. I didn't find the love square particularly annoying, although Hyo-Rin's choices weren't 100% believable to me. I did find both Lee Shin and Lee Yul to be great potential partners for Chae-Kyung, and I found myself torn between the two. I'd be happy to be either of their princess!
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: Without hesitation

Goong S/Palace S/Prince Hours/Imperial Household S/Goong Special/궁S/궁 (宮) S (2007) - ★★
20 episodes
The inverse of Goong, this is the rag-to-riches story of a boy turned prince. Well (I don't think it's a spoiler to say), technically, he was a prince before he even knew it. The series starts off too slow for my liking, and Se7en has a serious case of over-acting. The focus here is the journey to become the crown prince, and I do like the challenges he has to face to become one (no, really, there are literally planned challenges). This isn't so much a love story as a competition story. If you have some free time and don't mind checking your brain at the door, watch. If you don't, you won't be missing anything.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: No
Would I watch it again?: Possibly

Heirs/He Who Wears the Crown, Endure Its Weight: Heirs/The Heirs/The Inheritors/왕관을 쓰려는 자, 그 무게를 견뎌라 – 상속자들 (2012) - ★★★☆
20 episodes
There is a lot of comparison to BOF, but even though Lee Min-Ho plays yet another rich kid, this character is much more introspective and has more depth. Think of this drama as the Korean Gossip Girl, with all of the rich kids in their exclusive school and their own wealth-based school hierarchy. The strong points are when everyone faces their problems head on and explore whether they should continue on the  path that their parents direct. There is far too much time spent in America with bad actors who barely speak English (how?!), and I could really care less about the parents' love stories. But the main couple is cute, and the long lost bromance is touching.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: No
Would I watch it again?: Yes

Hotel del Luna/호텔 델루나 (2019) - ★★★★
16 episodes
Such a beautifully shot drama with a wardrobe to die for (no pun intended!) that handles the topic of death and unfinished business well. I love how the story stays focused on our not-quite-in-the-afterlife hotel family and doesn't spiral off into side stories that no one cares about. I don't mind most of the "ghost of the week" stories since they closely relate to our main and secondary characters' growth and often span over multiple episodes. There are some places where the theme is drawn out and others that were wrapped up too quickly. But overall, it's a well written drama that maintains its direction from start to finish. Be sure to keep watching until the end – a surprise awaits you after the final theme song! 
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes, a lot
Would I watch it again?: Yes

I do, I do/아이두 아이두 (2012) - ★★★☆
16 episodes
I both loved and hated this drama. I think the secret was drawn out for way. too. long. And that's an understatement. Dr. Immoral (not his character name) was disturbing, and I found myself appalled at his actions. But, I love the way how the series deals with a single, independent, 30-something woman and the life choices she makes on her own terms. The end was sweet, and left you optimistic for the future. And let's not forget Ji-An's AMAZING shoe collection. The shoe closet deserves five stars of its own.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: Maybe

K-POP Extreme Survival/K-POP The Ultimate Audition/K-POP 최강 서바이벌 (2012) - ★★★
14 episodes 
I think of KPOP as a preteen Nickelodeon drama. The plot was basic and fluffy, but that's all a 12-year-old wants. I, myself, love watching Nickelodeon, so that didn't bother me any. This is a cross-dressing teen story that I actually enjoyed, and it wasn't overly-frustrating with her secret. I was invested in the love story and I cared about the characters making it in the music industry. Because of low ratings, this show was abruptly cut without resolving anything. It just stopped. They didn't even attempt to tie up loose ends, even if they were sloppy. Such a disappointment for the viewers. 
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: I think so
Would I watch it again?: No, but only because there's no ending. Otherwise, yes. 
 
Legend of the Blue Sea/The Legend of the Blue Sea/푸른 바다의 전설 (2016-2017) - ★★★★
20 episodes
I loved this mermaid story, especially at the beginning when she's literally a fish out of water. Plus, who knew that mermaids had seashell purses and spa days?! There's also a parallel story line, which I am completely in love with; it's so good that I kinda wish that was a story of its own. The roommate shenanigans are just as fun as the couple, and the friends she makes along the way are great. But as much as the romance is sweet and cute, I'm frustrated with how our mermaid handles being in love on land in the final stretch, and it therefore makes the last episode, although lovely, a bit contrived. 
Did I laugh:? Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: Maybe

Me Too, Flower!/I'm a Flower, Too!/나도, 꽃! (2011) - ★★★★
15 episodes
I may be in the minority here, but I love Me Too, Flower. First off, you have to get over the fact that Yoon Shi-Yoon doesn't look a day over 16. He's legal, I swear. If you can't get over that, then skip this drama. This is not your typical Cinderella story, as Cha Bong-Sun rebels against having a chaebol boyfriend. I like it, but the "I can't like you because you're rich" conflict gets old real quick.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: No
Would I watch it again?: Yes 
 
Moonlight Drawn by Clouds/Love in the Moonlight/구르미 그린 달빛 (2016) - ★★★
18 episodes
This starts out feeling like the Joseon version of Goong: a light-hearted, youthful story with a twist on history. Watching the crown prince fall in love and mature into a man worthy of king is downright adorable, and you can't help but be on his side. But it falls into a "problem of the week" format that moves the plot forward, but in obvious, clunky ways. Plus, our heroine becomes a self-sacrificing idiot and a damsel in distress halfway that ruins the fun. Most, if not all, of the side characters are simply used as plot devices and deus ex machina, which is unfortunate because the story would have been much more compelling with more time spent with the second leads, the eunuch family, and a little more back story.    
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: Only the first half for the love story, then the last two episodes to wrap it up nicely.

My ID Is Gangnam Beauty/ID: Gangnam Beauty/내 아이디는 강남미인 (2018) - ★
16 episodes
A boring, slow story about the most insecure, naive girl in the entire world. The drama meandered along and then tried to cram 16 episodes worth of meaningful backstory and character growth in the last three episodes. They would have been much more impactful if their story lines had been weaved in since the beginning, but at that point, I really didn't care. I feel like the writer had a story to tell, but was way to focused on a girl that was ~so ugly~ that we can't even see her face. Ugh. This is why it pays to hire a good editor!  
Did I laugh?: Chuckled
Did I cry?: No
Would I watch it again?: No

Nice Guy/The Innocent Man/The Nice Guy Never Seen Anywhere in the World/세상 어디에도 없는 착한남자 (2012)
16 episodes
A good antihero story, mainly showcasing what it takes for a person to be a "good guy" or a "bad guy." The drama, unfortunately, is filled with so many drama tropes, including chaebol shenanigans and amnesia. 
Did I laugh?:
Did I cry?:
Would I watch it again?: 

Operation Proposal/프로포즈 대작전 (2012) - ★★★★☆
16 episodes
The Butterfly Effect, Kdrama Style. You wake up one day standing next to your love at the altar ...but you're not the groom! If you had the opportunity to go back in time, what would you do to change the present? Kang Baek-Ho will do anything, and he makes constant time leaps in an attempt to change fate. Not all of his changes are for the better, and he learns a lot about himself along the way. A couple of the leaps were pretty useless in the grand scheme of things, and probably would've done just fine at 14 episodes.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: Yes

Personal Taste/Personal Preference/개인의 취향 (2010) - ★☆
16 episodes
Based on the amount of slapstick humor and borderline (or completely) offensive gay jokes, I'm pretty sure this drama was written by a group of immature middle schoolers. Let's be perfectly clear: it is never okay to out someone's sexual orientation or gender identity without their permission. Period. Once the drama gets past the horribly obnoxious gay jokes in the first half, the main couple actually has a cute story of falling in love. Too bad they each have horrible, self-serving friends and family who ruin everything, in addition to an unnecessary (and age-inappropriate) love hexagon that gets in the way. 
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: No
Would I watch it again?: Absolutely not.

Playful Kiss/Naughty Kiss/Mischievous Kiss/장난스런 키스 (2010) - ★★★★
16 episodes
I could watch Kim Hyun-Joong smile all day long. *sigh* Huh? Oh... right, where was I? Oh yeah, drama. I actually liked this show, KHJ obsession aside. Enemies learn to appreciate each other, friends grow together and apart, and families form tight bonds as the leads travel from high school to college. There are several quiet, touching moments sprinkled throughout that make it worth the ride. I did, however, find Oh Ha-Ni extremely annoying and dumb (as in intelligence) at times. Fast forward through the first ten minutes of episode one. You'll thank me for it. 
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: I don't recall
Would I watch it again?: Already have!

Playful Kiss YouTube Version/Naughty Kiss YouTube Version/장난스런 키스 YouTube버전 (2010) - ★★★★☆
7 episodes
This is actually better than the drama. No lie, this is the stuff that should've been aired. SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE ORIGINAL FIRST. You have been warned! This special edition was uploaded to YouTube and shows Baek Seung-Jo and Oh Ha-Ni's married life both through and after college. It is so utterly adorable and shows just how well the couple matches (which was a complaint from some viewers of the regular drama).
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: Again and again 

Queen In-Hyun's Man/Queen and I/인현왕후의 남자 (2012) - ★★★★
16 episodes
Absolutely amazing. Best fusion sageuk drama ever. I love, love, love the relationship between Kim Bong-Do and Choi Hee-Jin. The time travel between the two periods works well in the world that is created. With a "but." The problem is that the writers write themselves into a corner, and the final episode is completely contrived. Enough to ruin the magic of the series and cause my rating to go down. But the endearing chemistry between the two leads is amazing and worth the ups and downs of their time together.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: Yes
 
Reach of Sincerity/Touch Your Heart/진심이 닿다 (2019) - ★★★★
16 episodes
Such a sweet, endearing office romance that makes you fall in love right along with the couple. Directed differently, this could have easily fit the slice-of-life genre. It starts out heavy on the comedy, but it quickly mellows out and finds its pacing. The weekly cases mostly fit into the story line well and are never too distracting from the main plot. All of the characters have a complete arch that is wholly satisfying. You truly feel like you looked into the daily lives of our legal team and that they each have full stories before and after the drama takes place. Plus, I could watch Lee Dong-Wook smile all day! 
Did I laugh: Yes
Did I cry: Yes
Would I watch it again?: Yes

Rooftop Prince/Attic Prince/옥탑방 왕세자 (2012) - ★★☆
20 episodes
Affectionately known by viewers as the Joseon F4 or the Joseon Power Rangers, a crown prince and his three buddies jump forward in time to discover the truth behind his wife's death. Starts off meaningful and hilarious, but veers way off course. Too much time is spent in the company drama, which frankly, no one cares about. The heart of the show – the hilarious Joseon F4 and the relationship between past/future lovers – and the mystery solving is completely left behind. It tries to pick back up in the final episodes, but it's far to late. The last five minutes will leave you with a great, big "huh?"
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: No
Would I watch it again?: Probably not

See You Again, Descendants of the Sun/Descended From the Sun Special/태양의 후예 Special (2016) - ★★★★
3 episodes
Because the drama was so highly rated but was pre-produced, the writers had no way of extending the story once it ended. Enter the Descended From the Sun Special. This is a three-part series that takes you back through the story all over again. The first two episodes are a summary of the series: it has all the best scenes from the drama without any of the pesky details or story line faults. The third episode features interviews with the cast and crew about filming, acting overseas, and the related drama wave the show had. A nice way to see the best parts of the drama if you don't have 16 hours to spare. 
Did I laugh?: I smiled at the memories
Did I cry?: Since I watched this immediately after the full run, the emotional weight wasn't there for me.
Would I watch it again?: Yes

Shut Up Flower Boy Band/Shut Up and Let's Go/닥치고 꽃미남밴드 (2012) - ★★★★★
16 episodes
Super, duper awesome. I want more, but at the same time I'm happy with it because it never got draggy for one moment. It's a wonderful coming-of-age story of a group of high school best friends in a band, facing the choice of being a real band or a "face" band. Friendships are tested and dreams are hit with a giant dose of reality. The balance between being an average teenager and a well-known band walks a thin line. Soundtrack was stuck in my head for months.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: Definitely 

Tale of the Nine Tailed/The Tale of a Gumiho/Tale of the Nine-Tailed Fox/구미호뎐 (2020) - ★★★
16 episodes
This drama had so much potential to be an epic supernatural gumiho story. I'm not sure that the drama knew what story it wanted to tell, which showed via inconsistent pacing. It also ran out of compelling story less than halfway through, and stuck with the boring love story instead of fleshing out all of the supernatural beings that we cared about. Unfortunately, not everyone can play a multi-character role, and all three (four? five?) of Jo Bo-Ah's characters had the same personality. If you can look past those faults, there is a compelling story mixed in there, but you'd be happier if you stop around episode ten.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: No

The Crowned Clown/왕이 된 남자 (2019) - ★★★★☆
16 episodes
This is my new favorite fusion sageuk! Every episode gave me anxiety – in a good way. This is a Prince and the Pauper story that primarily focuses on the pauper turned prince, so to speak. (And as such, this is not like the Korean movie Masquerade.) The challenges that our hero faces are literally life and death, and he has to decide if he's going to save himself or his people. The majority of the final episode is completely disjointed from the rest of the series, though, without any real explanation as to why. Otherwise, a solid drama with a refreshing take on the typical Joseon tale. 
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: For sure

The King: Eternal Monarch/더 킹: 영원의 군주 (2020) - ★★★★
16 episodes
First thing's first: this is NOT a romantic comedy, so leave those expectations at the door. This mystery, time-travel drama is a culmination of Lee Min-Ho's projects: a bit of action, a bit of romance, a bit of luxury, and a bit of multiverse/time travel. But what I love about this drama is the intelligence of it all. As someone who was good at calculus (but can't remember it nowadays, haha), the series really had me thinking about all the possible mathematical outcomes. Although the love is important, it comes second to figuring out the key to the manpashikjeok (flute), which is the best part of the drama. The love story is perfect for adults who may not have the cutesy, hot-burning love that happens in your early 20s. The time jumps get a little crazy at the end, though, which makes it hard to keep up.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: No
Would I watch it again?: Yes

The King 2 Hearts/더킹 투하츠/더킹2hearts (2012) - ★★★★☆
20 episodes
This is a constitutional monarchy drama, but not just about the pretty. No, there's always the looming threat of all out war with North Korea and various other countries along the way. A journey of crown prince Lee Jae-Ha growing from a man-boy into a person worthy of leading the nation. Love story is cute (marry me!) and the supporting characters are awesome. John Mayer is a little strange/misplaced at first, but eventually falls into place. Lee Jae-Shin is cool at first, but gets whiny later on. The last few episodes will rip your heart out, so prepare your tissues now.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Multiple times from beginning to end.
Would I watch it again?: Yes, definitely.

The Moon That Embraces the Sun/The Moon Embracing the Sun/해를 품은 달 (2012) - ★★★☆
20 episodes
I admit, I was so onboard with this national hit. It's a fluffy sageuk drama, and I loved it to bits. But there were too many things that didn't make sense, and the ending just made me mad. The plot twists came a little too late to make an impact because you knew it had to get resolved quickly with episodes running out. But the eunuch was absolutely hilarious and the male actors were pretty to look at. I'd watch it again for Jung Il-Woo (oh, what wouldn't I watch for JIW?) and Kim Soo-Hyun, but definitely with my brain checked at the door, and stop before the frustrating end.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: Yeah, if nothing else was interesting.

The Return of Iljimae/Moon River/돌아온 일지매 (2009) -  ★★★★★
24 episodes
One of my all-time favorite sageuks, based on the Robin Hood-type character, Iljimae, of the Chinese Ming Dynasty. It is well written, evenly paced, and well acted. There are two downsides though: the narrator is supper annoying, but you get used to her after the first episode; and Wal-Hee becomes super clingy/needy in the homestretch. But the heart of the story supersedes that, and you get to know and love the characters. Even our comic relief have stories of substance. It is a slow story, so if you're looking for something that flies by, this isn't it. But the fight scenes are badass, so that's something to look forward to.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: Yes

The Woman Who Still Wants to Marry/Still, Marry Me/City Lovers/아직도 결혼하고 싶은 여자 (2010) -  ★☆
16 episodes
Watched the first few episodes and was bored to tears. Began to just fast forward to the parts Kim Bum was in. Watched the last few episodes in their entirety just because Ha Min-Jae's story was so intertwined with the others at that point. The plot? Oh, four female BFFs past "marriageable age," and becoming disillusioned (or faced with reality) about marriage. Just didn't find it interesting. Not sure if it was the acting or the story itself. Maybe it deserves a second look, but the first episodes bore me so much that it's not worth the effort.
Did I laugh?: Briefly
Did I cry?: No
Would I watch it again?: No

To the Beautiful You/Hana Kimi Korean Version/For You in Full Blossom/아름다운 그대에게 (2012) - ★★★☆
16 episodes
Another teenage drama that needs a whole lot of "suspension of belief" to watch. But even with that, too many things were unrealistic for our cross-dressing heroine. Our male leads steal the show and I could watch the two of them for hours on end (Keep your eye out for [Choi] Min-Ho and Lee Hyun-Woo). Our male secondary leads get some good story lines, but unfortunately, get dropped or handled halfassed. The drama in the last episode is completely contrived and unexplained, but it is what it is. Had potential to be so much more. 
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: Maybe, for the guys.

Unstoppable High Kick/High Kick!/거침없이 하이킥 (2006-2007) - ★★★★
167 episodes
This is the daily drama the launched the careers of Jung Il-Woo and Kim Bum and started the High Kick trilogy craze. It's a family drama centered around the Lee family, and I find myself laughing and laughing at everything. Every episode pretty much stands alone, with a few plot threads weaving through the entire series. There are a few outrageous plots (Kang Yumi's later story line, for example), but it was a family I couldn't get enough of. I rooted for Min-Ho and Yoon-Ho the entire way.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: If I had infinite time, yes

What's Up/왓츠업 (2011-2012) - ★★★★☆
20 episodes
Super awesome musical. The writers knew exactly where they were going from day one and it shows. Great direction and acting to boot. I was so into the story and couldn't wait for the next episode week to week. You sincerely care about these characters and wish for everything to work out well. This is how college dramas should be done.
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Bawled 
Would I watch it again?: Yes

White Christmas/Monster/몬스터/화이트 크리스마스 (2011) - ★★★★
8 episodes
This is the first dark drama that I watched, and I really enjoyed it. It's also an early role for many now-top actors. A few students choose to stay on campus during Christmas break from their elite, rigorous, and remote high school, giving up the only break from school these gifted students get all year. What should be a quiet week quickly turns dire, and with no connection to the outside world, they all begin to figure out if monsters are made or born.
Did I laugh?: 
Did I cry?:
Would I watch it again?: Yes
 
You From Another Star/My Love From the Star/You Who Came From the Stars/My Love From Another Star/별에서 온 그대 (2013-2014) - ★★★
21 episodes
I didn't find this drama any more exciting than any other drama, and wasn't onboard the wild wave it swept through the nation. Wait, does that mean I'm from another star?! Jokes aside, I really did like this couple. It was so endearing to show that when you open your heart to the right people, they will accept you as you are for your complete self. But with a serial killer on the loose handled by the slowest investigation team in Seoul, the side plot dragged along, taking away from what we want to see: the story of love and friends and family. I also felt the relationship was one sided, with one person sharing everything and the other keeping everything inside. The ending was a mostly fan-service, and I wish the writers came up with a real alien explanation instead (or, just dealt with it throughout and not just at the last hour). 
Did I laugh?: Yes
Did I cry?: Yes
Would I watch it again?: Maybe


Related post: Kdramas I've Watched

Last updated December 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment